What are the visiting procedures of the Boone County Jail?
No one under the age of 16 will be allowed to visit inside the Boone County Jail. Children under the age of 16 shall NOT be left unattended by visitors on the property of the Boone County Sheriff/Jail Complex.
Visitors are required to present one of the following photographic identification formats:
- Valid State issued operators license,
- Department of Motor Vehicle Identification Card,
- U.S. Government Passport,
- U.S. Military Identification Card,
- Valid non-U.S. Government Passport,
- Non-U.S. Government issued identification card or operator’s license, or
- Native American Tribal identification Card.
Only one visitor per visitation period. Parents (to include step-parents), Grandparents, Aunts/Uncles will be considered as one visitor.
Per policy, there are NO “special visits” unless approved by the Sheriff of Boone County.
Loss of visitation privileges will be a form of disciplinary action. Visits will be limited to once each day. If an inmate receives a visit in the morning he/she will not be allowed to a second visit in the evening. Money orders and acceptable property will be taken in between the hours of 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM and 7:30 PM and 10:00 PM daily.
Visitation will be by alphabetical first letter of last name:
|Sunday||Additional day for male and female trustee offenders|
|Monday through Sunday||Male Visitation||Female Visitation|
|Morning||8:30 AM – 9:30 AM||9:45 AM – 10:45 AM|
|Evening||7:30 PM – 8:30 PM||8:45 PM – 9:45 PM|
No visitor will be allowed to carry in cameras, cell-phones, electronic recording devices. Purses and non-authorized items must be left in the vehicle in the parking lot prior to admission to the visitation area. The Sheriff’s Department shall not be responsible for any item left by the public.
What is the policy for inmate mail?
Friends and families of offenders may write them at the following address:
Offender’s Name (full legal name)
Boone County Jail
2121 County Drive
Columbia Missouri 65202
All incoming mail, personal and legal, is opened in front of the offender at the time of delivery and inspected for contraband. Mail is not read, merely inspected for contraband, which is anything not authorized by the rules and regulations of this facility.
Offenders that are deemed to be indigent are allowed free mailings of up to two a week for the duration of their indigent status. Stamps and pre-stamped envelopes are not allowed unless obtained via our commissary program. Any item sent through the mail shall have the entire mailing sent back to sender for containing contraband.
Packages are always opened outside of the jail facility. They are never opened in front of the offender population. They are inspected for contraband at that time and may be resealed and sent back to sender upon inspection.
Which types of property are authorized for offenders serving sentences?
For those offenders who are anticipating serving a sentence in the Boone County Jail and for those family members needing to know what property is acceptable here is a list of commonly accepted property for the jail.
Please Note: All items allowed for those serving sentences are for initial intake only. After intake, all clothing items must be purchased from the commissary.
- Tee Shirts: limit of 3, no pockets, no tank tops, no long sleeves, white only.
- Socks: limit of 3, white only.
- Underwear: limit of 3, plain panties, briefs, or boxers, white only.Note: female arrivals may keep their colored underwear until a pair of acceptable white underwear has been purchased from our commissary or brought in by family members.
- Brassiere: Limit of 3, no underwires, white only. *Note: new female arrivals may remove underwires from current brassieres to make them acceptable, and new arrivals may also keep colored brassieres until such time as appropriate clothing can be bought from our commissary, or delivered by family.
- Thermal Underwear: white or crème colored only, limit of two.
- Tennis Shoes: No longer allowed to keep on person while serving time.
- Paperback Books: limit of two in possession at any one time. All books become the property of the facility upon delivery, but the offender shall have the option to read them first.
- Magazines: limit of 2 by subscription only.
- Religious Books: Soft back Bible or Koran, additional religious tracts or texts may be kept to reasonable minimum. These shall remain the property of the offender.
- Newspapers: Will only be accepted via subscription and in the possession of the offender for one day’s worth only.
Contraband Reading Material
This is any material that falls into the general guidelines of being:
- Explicit or graphic depiction of sexual acts.
- Material that promotes or solicits sexual activity.
- Material that promotes the abuse or exploitation of children.
- Material that depicts the manufacture, simulation and or concealment of weapons, ammunition, explosives, incendiaries, escape devices, or escape techniques.
- Material that depicts ingredients and or manufacture of toxic or illegal substances.
- Material that promotes or advocates violence, disorder, insurrection or terrorist activities against individuals, groups, organizations and government facilities.
- Material that promotes, advocates, or instructs in the commission of criminal activity.
- Material that depicts or contains technical specifications or may be used to alter or defeat electronic, mechanical or other security devices and or information concerning security techniques and training of personnel and canine units.
- Material that depicts or contains information that may be used to alter or defeat communications systems.
- Instructions or information relating to the ability to injure or kill a person.
- Any material that would be detrimental to the security, good order or discipline of this facility.
- Limit of ten (10), no pornographic, provocative photos. This includes any depiction of gang signs. Photographs will not have frames or be affixed to cardboard or homemade frames.
- We allow small religious medallions, no larger than 1 inch by 1 inch and made of pliable material, no metal. We allow plain wedding band, no large stones. We allow a medical alert necklace or bracelet. Limit of one each.